It’s hard to get into a morning routine, especially when you have little ones! You might be wondering, is there such a thing as a morning routine for busy moms? Is this real? It seems like there is always something that comes up and highjacks your morning.
Mornings are rough. Am I right? I’m a busy working mama of 2, so mornings have been the bane of my existence for a L-O-N-G time. Getting everyone ready to go, getting out the door and getting to work on time was a constant struggle.
Are you feeling this way right now? If you are, it might surprise you that some little changes in your morning will turn your whole day around.
Recently I shifted my thinking and my mornings. I started waking up earlier and began working on a morning routine. I wondered what I could do to stop feeling so overwhelmed every morning, so I made many small changes and they have totally transformed my mornings.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link.
What is Wrong With Not Planning out Your Morning?
The problem with struggling through your morning is that you start your day stressed. From the moment you wake up, you’re in a hurry. I don’t like feeling stressed, disorganized and scattered. When I am prepared, I feel successful and ready to face the day.
When my mornings were chaotic and I was always in a hurry, any little thing could completely throw me off. Now, my mornings are not easily derailed. I’ve eliminated the things that used to cause me stress.
Your morning should bring you joy! It’s a new start. A new day! Get out of bed feeling excited not behind!
Why does this happen?
The way you get ready for your day is a habit. Whether you like it or not, you’ve created it by repeating it day after day. Think about your morning with me. What kind of habits have you created?
- Do you go to bed too late and find yourself snoozing your alarm EVERY single day?
- Are you up late binge-watching Netflix every night?
- Do you find yourself hurrying to throw lunches together?
- Is eating out your go-to lunch because you just don’t give yourself enough time to make one?
- Is picking out what to wear a struggle?
- Do you search frantically through the dirty clothes because you can’t find that thing you were going to wear?
What are some of the biggest things that cause you to stress in the morning? As busy mamas, we don’t often check in with ourselves to see what’s causing our stress. We just “get through the day”. Our chaotic mornings are affecting our entire day and we don’t even realize it.
5 Tips for an Effortless Morning- a morning routine for busy moms
Ok, here’s what you want to know. These are the things I did to create a more productive and minimized morning. I thought about the things that were causing me stress and tweaked and changed my habits.
You can have a morning routine too, even if you’re busy!
Tip #1 – Plan Ahead
When you plan ahead you feel less stressed and more organized. Pick one day of the week to look at your schedule for the week. I like Sunday because it’s before I start my work week.
- Check your calendar for scheduled events
- Start a Planner- I chose this Happy Planner (I liked that I could add in my own pages)
- Think about tasks you need to get done
- Put reminders in your phone
- Review your meal plan for the week (breakfast/lunch and dinner if you choose)
Tip #2 – Create a Morning Routine
When you wake up earlier than everyone else you have time for yourself. When you feel refreshed and replenished you can tackle anything! Self Care is usually the first thing we cut from our busy schedules, but it should be the last! Make your own care a priority!
- Create a morning routine
- Start by waking up 30 minutes earlier
- Choose a self-care activity to focus on
Tip #3 –Pick Out Your Clothes
Pick out your clothes before you go to bed. I hang my outfit up outside of my closet right by my bed. I have my son pick out his outfits for the entire week. This creates one less thing to think about in the morning and helps us both to get ready faster. Try it for a week and see what you think.
- Choose your outfit the night before or choose your outfits for the entire week
- Pack your workout bag with fresh clothes
- Help your kids pick out 5 outfits for the week- we don’t designate what outfit needs to be worn on what day. Just minimizing the options has really helped my son to get ready faster in the morning.
Tip #4 – Choose Quick Breakfasts
Do you find yourself skipping this meal because it’s too much work? Do you get a headache or are you hungry when you’re just starting out your day? Finding something that it quick and easy to grab in the morning is a must, especially if you’re a busy mama!
Here are some of the things I love to eat for breakfast:
- Overnight Oats (I love these Peanut Butter Overnight Oats by the Minimalist Baker) I like to add in some Collagen Peptides too! I prep my dry ingredients in mason jars and then add Almond Milk and peanut butter the night before.
- Egg cups or egg quiches are quick and easy to reheat (make a batch on the weekend and then pop them in the microwave for a minute and you’re ready to go!)
- RX bars or Larabars are quick and healthy alternatives if you don’t have time to make something
- I like to make my own “Energy Bites” (these ones by Boss Lady Kaelin are A-mazing!)
- Waffles- either make your own and freeze or buy some good quality storebought ones, I like the Vans brand (as I’m gluten-free)
- Pancakes- are also easy to freeze. Add in some Kodiak Cake Mix for some added protein
- Yogurt is another option, top with granola or fresh fruit
Tip #5- Shower Less
Ok, this might not sound like something you want to cut out, but just go with me for a minute. Did you know that when you wash your body you strip it of its naturally occurring oils? These oils create healthy bacteria that protects your skin. When you wash less you are actually helping your skin! Think about how much time it takes for you to get ready in the morning. What would it be like if you could cut that time in half?
Before I was pregnant with my daughter I took a shower, EVERY SINGLE DAY, except maybe the occasional Saturday or the days where I would occasionally use dry shampoo. What I didn’t know was that by washing my hair so often, I was practically begging my scalp to create more oils. I could barely get to the end of the day before my hair was greasy. Now I can 4 to 5 days easily! You can train your hair just by washing it less.
I love my homemade dry shampoo! I just use a mixture of cornstarch and cocoa powder. It’s much cheaper than storebought brands, but if you don’t want to make it, my favorite storebought dry shampoo brand is Batiste.
Start by trying to wash your hair every other day and see what happens. How much time would you save by doing this?
The Last Thing You Need to Know about Creating an Effortless Morning
It needs to work for you! Choose one thing to focus on and start there. What would it feel like to have all your breakfasts picked out for the week? How refreshing would it be to wake up knowing the lunches are packed, breakfast is done and your outfit is already picked out?
I’m rooting for you mama and I want you to make your mornings work for you!
- I’m working on a free 5-day e-mail course that will walk you through how to set up a morning routine. Join me HERE if you’re interested. I want to help you make over your morning!
- What is the one thing you wish you could change about your mornings?