Mom Brain- is this a thing?
Do you feel like you have “mom brain”? I didn’t really believe that “pregnancy brain” or “mom brain” was a real thing until I had my second child. Well, I’m here to tell you that it is real. I feel so scattered. I have an impossible time trying to remember little things. It’s absolutely ridiculous! I constantly feel like I’m in a fog. Apparently this is “mom brain”
If you plan on getting pregnant any time soon, make sure you invest in a good note taking or reminder app, because you will need it! My favorite is Evernote! You can access it from any smart device or a computer, so even if you forget your phone you can log in on someone else’s or just go online!
Do you feel scattered and like you’re in a fog?
Don’t worry, you’re not alone. I’ve been feeling this way for a while, but I just chalked it up to be my constant lack of sleep. My little one is still not sleeping through the night and she is 5 months old.
I was wondering, has this idea of “mom brain” ever been studied. I decided to do some researching, so I did some googling. Here are some of the things I found out: Read the full study Here
Okay, so now that we know “mom brain” is a really thing, what can we do about it?
Here are some things I do to help myself when mom brain strikes:
- When someone is talking to you and you have no idea what they are talking about, just smile and nod until you know what they are talking about. If this ah-ha moment never comes, continue to smile and nod.
- When you forget about that important thing you were supposed to do yesterday forgive yourself, because it’s amazing you’re not asleep on the couch at this point in the day, considering your baby decided last night’s bed time should be play time instead.
- When your husband finds your keys in the fridge pretend like you put them in there on purpose because you didn’t want to forget your lunch. (I might have found my keys in there before)
- When you forget to go grocery shopping on your way home for the 3rd time in a row, eat breakfast for dinner! I almost always have some eggs and pancakes are easy! My son tells me that he LOVES breakfast for dinner.
- When you’ve had to wash that load of laundry that you left in the washer yet again, remind yourself that it’s a good thing, because at least it made it into the washer today
- When you see your favorite dark chocolate covered pretzels on sale at Costco, know that it’s okay to buy 3 bags because they were such a good price.
- Don’t be too hard on yourself. This mom thing, is hard work.
Remember that this too shall pass, and you just might get your brain back some day. I will keep you posted on this one.
Do you feel like you have mom brain? Have you put your keys in the refrigerator?